Farmhouse Productions* in Hong Kong is a wonderful organic farm growing some stunning produce. To celebrate the amazing colours and flavours on the farm, we teamed up to create a beautifully simple recipe for their rainbow chard.
*To enquire about the produce on offer, cooking classes or venue rental, contact +852 9289 0212.Jump to Recipe
Tips and Tricks
If you don’t have access to multicoloured chard, simply use the white variety or mix it up by adding in more varieties of carrot.
Get fancy by peeling/slicing your carrots into a julienne!
If you’re not a huge fan of turmeric, tone it down a little by adding only 1/2 an inch.
Rainbow Chard Salad with Turmeric Dressing
- Small and large mixing bowls.
- Vegetable or julienne peeler.
- 1/2 lb Rainbow chard Washed and trimmed.
- 1/4 lb Cavolo nero Washed and trimmed.
- 1 Carrot Medium Peeled, though not essential.
- 1/4 lb Cherry tomatoes Roughly a large handful.
- 1 inch Fresh turmeric Peeled; halved if you don't like as strong a flavour.
- 1 Thai basil, fresh stem 5-6 large leaves or equiv. Keep the flowers if your plant is in bloom.
- 1/3 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Lemon Or 1 tsp juice.
- Salt & pepper
- Red onion
- Italian flat-leaf parsley
- Chopped walnuts
- Pumpkin seeds
Prep. Your Dressing
- Finely grate turmeric into a small bowl.
- Add olive oil, a pinch salt & pepper, leaves of 1 stem Thai basil (finely chopped) and a squeeze of lemon (about 1-2 tsp).
- Mix and set aside.
Onto the Veg.
- Roughly chop cavolo nero; place into a large bowl.
- Cut the chard stems into 1.5" pieces and slice the leaves (from top to bottom) into thin ribbons. Add to cavolo nero.
- Peel carrot into a wide julienne (long ribbons). Halve the cherry tomatoes. Add both to the salad.
- Add any extra ingredients and your turmeric dressing to the bowl. Mix well to thoroughly coat.
Garnish and Serve.
- If serving as a side dish, set your salad to the side. This will pair very nicely with grilled halloumi, tempeh (set aside some of your dressing before adding the basil and use as a marinade), or salmon. Chill if desired.
- Garnish with any nuts and seeds as desired, or any flowers if your basil is in flower, and serve.
We would love to hear what you think of our dish.
Copyright © 2021 The dB Kitchen Ltd. All rights reserved.